05 November 2007

chocolate ganache: minority report


i'm not exactly sure what's happened. when i was a kid (no comment), there was nothing better than a slice of sara lee chocolate cake. the (probably faux) ganache chocolate on top of the (probably preservative laden) fluffy cake was heaven on a plate ...

in the era of grownup, carb free foods, most guests wistfully and willfully decline any dessert whatsoever. how sad. dessert is where i start (and end) any meal - what comes after the main course often defines what the main course is. forget the greenmarket, what's in season, organic blah blah blah - tell me what the tart, cookie, or cake is, and i'll give you a seven course dinner.

of late, i have pawned off wedges of chocolate ganache cake - the real thing - on unwitting guests. triple layer devil's food cake, homemade with real dutch cocoa, creamy plugra butter, fresh organic brown eggs - sound good, right. sliced and leveled to provide me with the perfect platform for the most simple and elegant of delicious toppings - ganache. the same stuff that makes up your truffles - pure and simple, equal parts fine quality chocolate and scalded cream. left to consummate their union, these two likely culprits become one - glossy, rich, deep, sweet, and oh so yummy. carefully encasing the aforementioned three layers of cake - and voila - perfection.

so why so few takers? the kids turn their noses up - they dream of duncan hines. i can almost forgive their ungrateful and brainwashed attitude. but adults? how to resist a wedge of cake? it's CAKE, for goodness sake ... aren't you listening? this is what life is all about!

so, the next time someone offers you a wedge of cake, think of me and eat it!!!

h

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did eat a wedge (not a slice, a real wedge) of your lovely chocolate ganache cake. I don't mind that there aren't too many takers - more for me, eh?

Unknown said...

I'm there with you! It blows my mind that people won't eat desserts. THEY'RE DESSERTS!!! HELLO???!!!?

For years, my fiancé ardently proclaimed that he "hates" cake. I've never been able to wrap my brain around it. So for years, I tortured myself by making only desserts that he claimed that he'd eat. Then one day, I decided that I don't care whether he'll eat it, I want to make cake. So I made an exceptional cake. Rose Levy Beranbaum's Orange Glow Chiffon Cake. And it was magical. And somehow most of it disappeared without me eating it. After that, I kept baking cakes, and he kept eating them, but would never admit to "liking" them. Then one day I overheard him telling a friend how I make really great cakes. He had just been brought up on grocery store bakery cakes, and to be honest, I can't blame him for not being interested in cake after enduring that kind of junk for more than 2 decades!